OnePlus stated last week that it will begin rolling out the first batch of Android 10 betas for its 2018 flagships, the 6 and 6T, later this month. Some users (like myself) have been impatiently waiting for the software to hit their devices, and as it turns out, there’s a way to get the beta early.
Over in China, OnePlus has started seeding OnePlus 6T users with the first Android beta based on the company’s OxygenOS alternative, HydrogenOS. It acts extremely similarly to OxygenOS and only makes a few UI noticeable UI changes, such as different logos and branding.
The best part? You can install the software on your US-based 6T, and here’s how.
(Discloser: Matridox is not responsible for any damage done to your device by installing the software linked below. Please proceed at your own risk.)
- On your OnePlus 6T, click this link to download the first Android 10-based HydrogenOS build.
- After the download has completed, open the Files app and navigate to your Downloads folder.
- Long-press on the downloaded software package, tap the triple-dot menu icon in the top right-hand corner, and tap “Cut.”
- From there, navigate to the Internal Storage directory of the app.
- Tap “Paste.”
- Go back to your home screen and open Settings.
- Go to System > System updates > gear icon (top right) > Local upgrade. You should see the downloaded package there under a name beginning with “OnePlus6THydrogen_41_OTA”.
- Tap the package to install it. Tap “Install now.”
- Let the upgrade run its course and reboot your phone as necessary.
After the installation has ended, you’ll be running Android 10 on your OnePlus 6T. Granted, it’s not the US version of the software that should begin rolling out in the next couple of weeks, but if you can’t wait any longer, this is one way to adopt the latest OS from Google.
Notably, the upgrade to HydrogenOS from OxygenOS shouldn’t wipe your phone. All of my data was in tact after the installation. That said, be sure to back up your phone beforehand since you may run into issues that I didn’t face.
You must log in to post a comment.