Back in February, Nintendo originally confirmed it would release a new Dr. Mario game on mobile come the summertime. Now, that very game has gone up for pre-registration on both iOS and Android under the name Dr. Mario World.
Screenshots along with an introduction video give us our first official glimpse at what gameplay will be like within the title. It looks essentially the same as what you’d expect from a Dr. Mario game. You combat viruses using stackable pills that can be rearranged in a very Tetris-like fashion. The official description of Dr. Mario World can be found below.
■ Use your puzzle skills to eliminate pesky viruses!
• Match capsules with viruses and watch them disappear! Simply match three objects of the same color vertically or horizontally to clear them.
• Luckily, Dr. Mario and friends have virus-busting skills, and you can use leftover half-capsules to strategically zero in on especially meddlesome viruses.
• Take your time, because each puzzling configuration of viruses must be cleared using a limited number of capsules. Keep calm to plan your approach, and you’ll rid Dr. Mario’s world of viruses in no time!
■ Paging Dr. Mario!
• A colorful cast of viruses has Dr. Mario’s world in a panic! Dr. Mario and friends have put on lab coats and grabbed capsules! Now they’re ready to eliminate those unruly viruses.
• Dr. Mario isn’t the only one on call—Dr. Peach, Dr. Bowser, and others are on duty. Staff up with assistants like Goomba, Koopa Troopa, and Buzzy Beetle to help your doctors out with additional skills.
• Doctors and assistants have various virus-busting skills, so experiment to find a combination that suits your style and pace.
• Hundreds of stages over many different worlds are ready for you to save! New worlds, new doctors, and more will be delivered on a regular basis.
■ Play together with friends and family around the world!
• You’re not in this alone—send and receive stamina-giving hearts to use in stage mode! Then, show off your puzzle-solving progress.
• In versus mode, you can turn up the intensity on your virus-busting by challenging others to a one-on-one showdown—without using hearts!
• Find the right combo of doctor and assistants and aim for victory online to earn battle points and increase your tier!
Interestingly, much like Mario Kart Tour which is also launching this summer, Nintendo won’t be placing Dr. Mario World behind a paywall. That’s a mistake the company isn’t willing to make again after Super Mario Run, a free-to-play mobile game that cost $10 to unlock, produced disappointing sales and low user engagement. Of course, Nintendo will be placing some in-app purchases in Dr. Mario, but it likely won’t be anything significant.
Dr. Mario World launches on July 10th.