Yesterday was the biggest gift-giving-and-receiving day of the year, and OnePlus decided to surprise users of its OnePlus 5 and 5T with some fresh software: Android 9 Pie.
As of Christmas evening, OnePlus has begun rolling out Android Pie to the 5 and 5T over the air in the form of OxygenOS 9.0.0. Previously, the new update was being tested in beta form. Now, all users of both devices can expect the new software within the coming days.
OnePlus provided a changelog with all the new features and updates you can expect. Notably, the gesture controls from the OnePlus 6T have trickled down to the 5T, but not the 5.
We are very excited to announce that the pie has been baked! And ready to be rolled out for OnePlus 5 and 5T this our first official Android™ 9 Pie™ OTA update for the OnePlus 5 and 5T.
- Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- Brand new navigation gestures (Available for OnePlus 5T only)
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.12
- Other new features and system improvements
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Do Not Disturb mode
- New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
- Integrated Google Lens mode
To check and see if your phone received the update yet, head over to Settings > System > Software Updates. From there, you should see the Pie upgrade ready to be installed on your OnePlus 5 or 5T. Wait for it to download and install it. I recommend plugging your phone in so you don’t run out of power during the installation process and performing the operation over a stable Wi-Fi connection.