Essential recently held another AMA on Reddit to answer some interested consumers’ questions. Of course, the question arose regarding when more software updates would arrive at the Essential Phone, specifically an upgrade from Android 7.1.2 Nougat to 8.0 Oreo. Luckily, according to Essential, the phone should get a public beta based on the latest version of the operating system “within several weeks.”
…our QA team is in the process of testing Android Oreo as we speak to insure there are no regressions on the device. We are making great progress and target to have public beta available here within several weeks that you can try out before we release globally. We will make sure to publicly announce as soon as the Beta is available. – Marcus
While no word on when the update will arrive for average consumers, we do know what this upgrade to Android Oreo will bring in terms of features: Night Mode. According to Essential, the function wasn’t read for Android Nougat and the Essential Phone’s chipset at the time of launch, but they were, fortunately, able to work on it and will deliver it with the upgrade to OS version 8.0.
Additionally, Essential also dropped the following tidbits which are notable.
- The next OTA update for Essential Phone will include fingerprint gestures
- Screen stuttering bugs are being ironed out and will ship in future software update
- Essential Phone in white will begin shipping “soon,” other finishes in the works
- Better compatibility between Essential Phone and Snapchat in the works
- Applying skins to Essential Phone will cause incompatibility between phone and magnetic mods
- Live streaming with 360 camera coming with “fall OTA release”
You can read the full AMA on Reddit here. Expect more from Essential in the near future as the company will be holding these AMAs bi-weekly.