As first spotted by Android Police, Google is now allowing users of its Home smart speaker to test new features before they roll out to the general public. The news comes as the company adds the device to their Preview Program where they say new software with upcoming features on board will roll out to those enrolled that’s as stable as production software.
To enroll your Home in the program, follow the steps below.
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Home app.
- In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast and Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the device you’d like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu.
- Tap Settings > Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you’ll know when new updates are pushed to your device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you’ll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
Google notes that if you’re unable to enroll your Home in the program, they’re simply not accepting new members at that time. Just try again in a couple of days and see what happens.
Features like free phone calls to U.S. and Canada numbers and casting content to your TV will likely hit the Preview Program for the Home soon, and there’s plenty of other stuff that has yet to hit the hardware that was announced back at I/O 2017. Enroll now so you don’t miss out. Or at least try to do so.