This week, Google officially released their previously iOS-exclusive app Gboard for Android users as an update for the old Google Keyboard, complete with built-in online search, GIF support, fresh themes, and more. However, when it arrived, it wasn’t available through the Play Store and only via a side-loaded APK. Now, the new keyboard has been made available in the Store and is up for download from anyone with Android 4.1 and up.
Here’s Google’s full description of Gboard for Android.
Gboard has everything you love about Google Keyboard—speed and reliability, Glide Typing, voice typing, and more—plus Google Search built in. No more app switching; just search and share, right from your keyboard.
Gboard also has emoji search to help you find emojis faster, plus GIF search, and multilingual typing to let you switch languages on the fly.
Glide Typing — Type faster by sliding your finger from letter to letter
Voice typing — Easily dictate text on the go
Search and share anything from Google:
• Nearby stores and restaurants
• Videos and images
• Weather forecasts
• News articles
• Sports scores
• And anything else you’d search on Google
Emoji Search — Find that emoji, faster
GIFs — Search and share GIFs for the perfect reaction. GIF sharing is only available in apps that have implemented image keyboard support.
Multilingual typing — No more switching between languages manually. Gboard will autocorrect and suggest from any of your enabled languages, without the need to tap on the globe key.
• Press and hold Enter to choose from hundreds of emoji in any app (Android 4.4+).
• Learns as you type: No need to manually add words to a personal dictionary. Type a word once and you can gesture type it or find it in suggestions next time. Long press a suggestion to remove it from your “learned words” or the keyboard dictionary.
• Sync your learned words across devices to improve suggestions (enable in Gboard Settings→ Dictionary → Sync learned words).
• Gesture cursor control: Slide your finger across the space bar to move the cursor.
• Gesture delete: Slide left from the delete key to quickly delete multiple words.
• Make the number row available all the time (enable in Settings → Preferences → Number Row)
• Symbols hints: Show quick hints on your keys to access symbols with a long press (enable in Gboard Settings → Preferences → Long press for symbols).
• One handed mode: On large screen phones, pin keyboard to the left or the right of the screen by long pressing on Enter and selecting the thumb icon.
• Fast symbols: Gesture from the “?123” key to temporarily switch to the symbols keyboard and insert a symbol.
• Fast capitalization: Gesture from the SHIFT key to a character to capitalize it.
• Themes: Choose a theme with or without key borders to suit your style.
Over 120 languages supported.
You must log in to post a comment.